On November 18, President Francisco Sagasti swore in the ministers for his new cabinet. The presidency of the Council of Ministers will be led by Violeta Bermúdez Valdivia. Bermúdez is a lawyer from the National University of San Marcos (UNMSM) and has a master’s degree in Constitutional Law from the Pontifical University of Peru (PUCP).
Below are the new heads of the main ministries:
- Ministry of Economy and Finance: Waldo Mendoza. An economist and former Vice Minister of Economy and Finance, he is also a member of the board of directors of the Central Bank, and until this appointment he served as director of the Fiscal Council in Lima.
- Ministry of Health: Pilar Mazzetti returns to this post, after her resignation due to the presidential vacancy of Martín Vizcarra. She has a master’s degree in Genetics from the Cayetano Heredia University, and was trained in France in the area of neurogenetics.
- Ministry of Culture: Sagasti has reappointed Alejandro Neyra Sánchez to the position he has held since May 2020. Neyra Sánchez has a master’s degree in International Relations from the Diplomatic Academy of Peru. It is worth mentioning that, in 2018, he served as Minister of Culture.
- Ministry of Environment: Gabriel Quijandría.
- Ministry of Labor: The Executive appointed Javier Palacios, a lawyer from the Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú (PUCP). Palacios has more than 23 years of experience in the public and private sectors, and has worked to implement and manage projects in the areas of education, labor, employment and job training.
- Ministry of Foreign Trade and Tourism: Claudia Cornejo, former Deputy Minister of Tourism.
- Ministry of Transport and Communications: Eduardo Gonzales
- Ministry of Production: José Luis Chicoma