On August 15, the Ministry of Labor will host a Workshop Meeting for the Construction of a Public Teleworking Policy in the city of Barranquilla. Hosted by the Ministry of Labor, government representatives from the ICT Ministry and other organizations, a total of five meetings will be held in the cities of Bucaramanga, Barranquilla, Bogota, Medellin and Cali. Those interested in participating in the meetings can register online to take part in the activities scheduled in their city and choose the workshops they want to attend. The initiative is part of the Executive’s efforts to develop a Public Policy to Promote Teleworking.
The tables set for the meeting are as follows:
- Information and Communication Technologies for Teleworking to evaluate the needs, problems and challenges facing Teleworking in Colombia
- Promotion and Dissemination to foster a teleworking culture
- Tax and legal incentives to identify possible scenarios for improving teleworking conditions in the country by incorporating fiscal and legal incentives
- The impact of teleworking on the labor market and the economy to help identify opportunities in the global labor market economy, and explore options in the framework of the orange economy and export services
- People with Disabilities and other vulnerable populations with a view to analyzing opportunities and difficulties regarding hiring people with disabilities for teleworking.
Teleworking is defined by the Ministry as “a form of labor organization, involving the performance of paid activities making use of information and communication technologies (ICT) for contact between the worker and the company, without requiring the physical presence of the worker in a specific place of work.” According to ICT Ministry sources, in 2018 there were 122,000 teleworkers in Colombia. From 2012 to 2018, the number of companies implementing teleworking practices in the country has tripled, from 4,292 companies to 12,912. According to the Ministry, the main benefits perceived by companies are: increased productivity, reduced operating costs and more agile communication by taking advantage of ICT.