The Group of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB Group) will hold its Annual Meeting in Mendoza, Argentina, from March 22 to 25. Economic and financial leaders from the 48 member countries will discuss key opportunities for development, trade and investment in Latin America and the Caribbean. The meeting will seek to promote dialogue around a wide variety of issues, with an emphasis on urban development, economic growth, and commitment to the private sector. The summit will bring together representatives of other development agencies, commercial banks, companies and civil society organizations.
The IDB Group is composed of the following entities:
- Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), which offers resources and financing to the public sector;
- IDB Invest, focused on private sector operations; and
- Multilateral Investment Fund (MIF), which offers donations and resources to support innovative small-scale projects in the region.
Some of the segments of the agenda to be highlighted are:
- Presentation of the IDB Group’s annual macroeconomic evaluation of the region, which this year will focus on the challenge of achieving faster economic growth.
- 59th Annual Meeting of the Board of Governors, the most important agency of the IDB in terms of decision making. Most of the Governors are finance or economy ministers, or presidents of central banks.
- Business Forum “Intelligent Integration with the world: promoting regional economies and infrastructure investment”. The event seeks to bring together leaders of the private sector and senior representatives of the governments involved. It offers an opportunity to discuss economic growth and the global competitiveness of Latin America and the Caribbean, with an emphasis on regional integration, the role of regional economies as an engine for development and infrastructure investment.
- Idear Soluciones, which brings together innovative people and experts to find creative solutions to the development challenges facing Latin America and the Caribbean. This event will explore how innovation, digital solutions and the creative economy can be used to solve some of the most pressing difficulties affecting developing cities in the region, including urban mobility and resilience to climate change.
About the IDB
Founded in 1959, the IDB is one of the main sources of long-term financing for economic, social and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. It also carries out cutting-edge research projects and offers policy advice, technical assistance and training to public and private clients throughout the region.
About IDB Invest
IDB Invest, formerly known as the Inter-American Investment Corporation (IIC), is the private sector institution of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) Group, a multilateral development bank committed to the private sector in Latin America and the Caribbean. IDB Invest finances companies and sustainable projects to achieve financial results and maximize economic, social and environmental development in the region.
It is expected that in the coming weeks the Organizing Committee in Argentina will release more information about the event.